Design & Controller
The PlayStation 5 Hardware Reveal is here, and everyone is calling it a WiFi router. They are releasing two versions, a Blu-Ray version and a disc-less digital-only version. Personally I think it looks cool but the bulge on the side of the Blu-Ray version is not symmetrical so it it looks funny, but still a cool design.
The controllers are usual are packing some awesome new haptic feedback with their DuelSense technology inside that allows you to feel things more realistically and replaces the old rumble system. The triggers are adaptive and simulates things like a bow string getting harder to pull back as it tightens. The controllers have a built-in microphone and a headphone jack, and the share button is still there. Almost all features form the PS4 controller are still there like the built-in battery, the speaker, and the motion controls. Click here to read more about it on Sony’s website.
Here are the specs thanks to Digital Foundry:
- CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)
- GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2
- Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit
- Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s
- Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD
- IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
- Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot
- External Storage: USB HDD Support
- Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
Mark Cerny broke it down like it was designed for developers haha, however it was good for gamers to see the intense details that he laid out. As we all know now the PS5 cannot do backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, which is sad, but maybe with a future update they can figure something out like Microsoft did. There is speculation going around that the side panels will be replaceable, which will open up a whole market of custom side plates.
Check out our article on Bethesda/Zenimax getting purchased by Microsoft
One thought on “PlayStation 5 Hardware Reveal and Specs”
[…] Check our our previous article on the PS5 Hardware and Specs […]